Course Information, Structure & Guidance
Here is some information about the Practical Implantology Course for you to consider.
We do find that it is helpful for enquirers and for us, that an early discussion with one of the directors takes place as this enables a friendly but detailed conversation about all aspects of the course and is most helpful in deciding whether it is the one for you.
We can also arrange for you to have a private discussion with previous course delegates who will give you their honest appraisal and opinions about our course. You can watch all past participant video testimonials here.
Watch Our Video Trailers
Between them they have close to 90 years of clinical dental experience.
They will be directly involved in the teaching – it is not subcontracted out to others.
Guest speakers are invited to teach also where specific expertise is required.
As you would expect their core beliefs are the same but they have slightly different approaches and styles to their clinical work and teaching and this makes for an enriching teaching experience for the course delegates.
Their styles compliment each other and as they have been friends and colleagues for these 30 years, there interaction is friendly, seamless, effective, and actually a whole load of fun as well!
Faiza Sheikh – Operations Manager and PA Dr A Sheikh
Michele Sheikh – Client Relationship Manager
The course is designed very much as a collaborative and pastoral experience.
The teaching is inclusive and absolutely non aggressive.
We want the delegates to succeed in their desired aim of placing implants immediately after the course. So, the teaching is outcome based; everything is directed to the objective of enabling and empowering you to place implants in your own practice, safely and predictably.
We will allow for different learning styles and you will be part of a very supportive group.
We will always attempt to bring out the good aspects of all of the group so that you bond and support each other in the collective learning.
This way everyone wins. Too often dentists feel alone and unsupported in their practices. We feel that we as a faculty provide a very honest, direct, and focussed teaching and give everything that we are physically and emotionally able to, to get you placing implants. This is the Prime Directive.
Support is at different levels.
Firstly, you will have your own cohort group to support you during the course.
Secondly you will immediately upon enrolment become part of the wider Practical Implant family and there are some very accomplished alumni here, and you will truly feel part of a wider family that you will find are very anxious and willing to help you develop your implant careers.
The sky is then the limit and you fly as high as you wish. You set your own limits.
Thirdly the support from the faculty is ongoing, continuous, and unlimited and it doesn’t cost anything! This is in any form that you desire; be it questions, case planning, information, articles, techniques etc. Nothing is off limits.
Lastly, there is the facility that the teachers can be your practice mentors and help you fast track your development if you wish. This is NOT a course for us to develop our mentoring portfolio. But many delegates ask and many of you will feel that you will need the support afterwards, especially in the early days for you to fast track experience and build confidence and expertise quickly. You will decide.
We have alumni from all cohorts that are still active.
No dental implant experience is required.
We have dentists of all ages and experience who attend the course. They are at various stages in their careers and they may wish to start their implant career, progress it further, or reinvigorate and reenergise it.
We have even had delegates who have completed other courses but who have not felt that the teaching experience was not adequate for them and they have turned to us. Learning is lifelong of course. All are welcome.
However certain things are required.
- You must be a qualified and registered dentist.
- You must be post foundation level (UK graduates)
- Registered with the GDC (UK dentists)
- Have appropriate UK dental indemnity in case of mentoring in the UK.
- Non UK dentists cannot of course treat patents in the UK.
The course is structured over four modules.
It is deliberately designed to be intense and condensed.
There are 3 teaching modules followed soon after by the surgical module.
The course is outcome based – it is strictly focussed towards equipping you to place implants in your own practice as soon after the surgical module as possible.
There will be literature and information provided and other reading material but we will not spend valuable time in conducting literature reviews.
A resume follows but please bear in mind that there may be minor changes, as the course constantly evolves and other changes may be enforced upon due to circumstances beyond our control. The content may then change and evolve but always for the better we hope.
- Is theory based and includes an introduction to implants, anatomy and photography, and placement of an implant on a plastic model and impression taking.
- You will learn all the components to an implant and the restorative too.
- Is digital. You will be introduced to the theory and practise of digital planning, design platforms, CBCT scanning and planning and the techniques and advantages of guided implant surgery.
- Included in your fee is Dr J M Radiology’s Level one CBCT/radiology course, please note this is a requirement as part of our course and paid for by Practical Implantology.
- This can be completed at your own convenience online.
- Is where you will cover GBR, suturing techniques, soft tissue manipulation, implant exposure, occlusion, medicolegal, periodontal considerations periimplantitis.
- You will also get to fit a restoration.
- The list above is not full or exhaustive. There is a lot of content.
- We incorporate a lot of hands on exercises during the three modules.
- All the above teaching is then directed to the surgical module.
Module four (the most exciting!)
- Is where we fly to Cairo Egypt and start your implant placements on real live patients.
- You will place a minimum of 5 implants each.
- All cases are discussed previously and carefully selected.
- You will personally place implants under the direct supervision of one of the teachers, Mukesh, Sam, and Azhar.
- We will attempt to ensure that you have the benefit of each of them during this time although this is not always possible.
- Further, you will assist and cooperate in a large number of other surgeries so that you overall experience is of a lot of implants.
- We will attempt to give you experience of a variety of different implant sites, conditions, and situations.
- There will be more than simple implant placements and often you will be called on to perform some simple GBR, bone manipulation, and sometimes even sinus lift surgery as we cannot perfectly screen the patients beforehand.
- Patients will then be restored by the faculty afterwards.
Please note that you MUST have completed the three modules prior to being signed off to place implants.
If illness or other matters prevent this then you may resit a missed module and go to module four in a later cohort.
Once you have completed our course you will receive 120 hours (variable) of accredited CPD.
Guest speakers will provide their own CPD
Fees are currently £13,800 (Inclusive of VAT)
Please confirm with us that this is accurate at the time of joining.
A 10% deposit is required to secure your place on the course.
The balance of the fees can be paid over four instalments without a charge as long as the fees are paid prior to the start of the course and under any circumstances prior to module four.
For cancellations, please see our terms and conditions document – available on joining or on request.
Full payment in advance will attract a 5% discount.
We are happy to discuss individual requirements so don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Included in your fees:
- Free PI surgical kit
- CBCT level one course
- Lunches and refreshments on course days in UK and Cairo
- Accommodation and airport transfers in Cairo (Please note: accommodation in Cairo is paid for by us
but on a 2 people sharing basis. Single rooms if desired are available at an extra cost).
- Lunches and refreshments in Cairo
- Excursions in Cairo
We try and throw in a few other freebies along the way!
Not Included in your fees:
Flight costs to and from Cairo
The course is entirely independent of any external parties.
However, we are proud and grateful of our close relationship and collaboration with Osstem UK.
You will find that their staff will be involved in the course for support and assistance.
Their client support we have found is the best in the implant field and we are sure that you will enjoy their company.
They will also be present in Cairo with us. Other partners will be involved also.
Once your deposit is paid you will be added to the various PI groups, Facebook, WhatsApp.
On these groups you will be able to speak to all past and present delegates. All mentors (Mukesh, Sam, Azhar, myself, and Michele who are your admin and nursing support.
Industry partners such as Osstem and NSK reps will be in attendance also and provide invaluable support.
The earlier you join the more information you will get prior to starting the course and the better prepared you will be. However, you will be given everything you need so no need for any worry or anxiety.
Please do get in touch with me Faiza, or any of the directors whose contact details are below and we will be happy to assist you in making the right decision for you.
I do hope that this introduction has been useful but I’m sure you may have questions that are particular to you.
I would strongly recommend you speak with one of the directors of Practical implantology as they will be able to answer the more clinical aspects of the course.
Faiza Sheikh (Operations Manager and PA Dr A Sheikh) 020 4579 0389
You Can request to speak to one of our course directors:
Once you are decided that the course is the one for you then please Book & Pay Online and start the process to become part of the family.
This will then allow you to download the course manual, resources, and your specific cohort details.
I hope to hear from you soon.